- Obtained and collected six-figure judgment in complex dispute over the sale of a business. The opposing party filed multi-million dollar counterclaims which were defeated at trial.
- Represented employer of executive who left to join a competitor. Suit over non-compete agreement and counterclaim for bonus compensation was settled a month before trial.
- In multi-party dispute over enforceability of settlement agreement, obtained dismissal of entire action against client. Opposing party had asserted "hypothetical" claim that the dispute could be relitigated against the client if the party seeking avoidance of settlement were successful. The court rejected the claim and dismissed the case. Also obtained settlement of client's claim for attorney's fees against the losing party.
- Guided client through successful wind-up of failed business venture, where antagonistic, uncooperative business partners threatened, among other things, to take control of client's intellectual property.
Real Estate and Title Disputes:
- Representated trust in suit to quiet title in real estate. An estranged family member had taken possession and claimed title. Various real estate filings placed title in question. On motion for summary judgment supported by expert testimony, judgment was obtained in favor of the trust, and the family member was forced to relinquish possession.
- Obtained favorable settlement of contested claim for real estate fraud, where broker led client to believe that amenities were included that were actually not a part of the property.
- Represented co-owner of real estate in contested lawsuit to partition or sell the property. The matter was settled during the litigation.
- Collected full limits of uninsured motorist coverage for widow of drive-by shooting victim.
- Obtained favorable six-figure settlement for cyclist who suffered a knee fracture in a collision with a pickup truck while commuting to work. To achieve the desired result, we filed suit in federal court. The defendant could not be found. We obtained access to insurance funds by means of a Colorado statute that permitted service on the liability insurance carrier. The case settled during pre-trial discovery.
- As appellate counsel, obtained reversal of portion of subrogation claim consisting of punitive damages, using an argument never raised in the trial court. Old Republic National Title Ins. Co. v. Kornegay, 2013CA1581 (September 18, 2014, unpublished).
- Obtained and collected judgment for securities fraud arising from purchase of debt instrument. Judgment debtor attempted to transfer assets to avoid collection.
- Successfully defended tradesman sued for allegedly improper installation of high quality tile in commercial establishment. Persuaded plaintiff to hold arbitration hearing at the installation site, where arbitrator could view the results of the work. Arbitrator ruled in favor of the tradesman.